Each May, I end up with an inbox full of promotional emails, asking me to push some very sensible, practical items for Mother’s Day. And each year, I ignore most of said emails. Mother’s Day is really the penultimate holiday for the mom-to-be or the new mom. It’s a chance to recognize that her life–and body–have been totally turned upside down for the sake of motherhood while, let’s be honest, the changes good ol’ dad is going through pale in comparison. Forget Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries–Mother’s Day is the day we should all be truly, decadently indulged.
Here’s my wish list for this year. I strongly suggest forwarding it on…
1. AG’s Cropped Slim Leg Maternity Jeans. On a baby budget and feeling like you can’t really justify a $200 pair of maternity jeans? Good for you–someone else should buy them for you anyway. Once you own a pair of designer maternity jeans, you’ll wider why you didn’t make the investment in the first place, as you’ll wear them through the postpartum weeks also. AG’s Maternity Jeans are my newest favorites, and the cropped, slim leg version now available at Destination Maternity are perfect for summer. This version also has Destination Maternity’s signature over-the-belly panel, which makes them ideal for third trimester wear.
2. J Brand Maternity Skinnies. If you don’t want to spend $225 on the new AG Cropped Jeans, for today only, JBrand is offering 30% off two of its maternity skinny styles with promo code MOM514. This is RARE, JBrand never includes maternity pieces in its site wide sales (I like to think this is a result of my pointing that out to my JBrand contact). Both the 3401 Maternity Skinny in Starless and the 3401 Maternity Legging In Hewson are 30% off today with promo code “MOM514.”
3. Anita’s 5041 Lace Nursing Bra. This lace nursing bra epitomizes the phrase “practical, but sexy” and you can bet she’ll order a few more of these once she’s tried them out. The 5041 does have underwire, so that should be considered before purchasing. But it is a beautiful bra done in a nude-colored lace that also works well under just about everything.
4. Coach Diaper Bag. Coach has revamped its diaper bag selection this spring and the line’s new striped cotton canvas pieces are rather lustworthy and also somewhat practical.
5. Peaks of London. This UK-based nursing line is just about the ultimate in nursing wear luxury. The nursing pieces are made from silk and angora, fabrics that do not lend themselves to nursing in the least. But these nursing tops and dresses are gorgeous, and I have titled this list “decadent,” not practical. If you only choose one piece, the line’s trademark Waterfall Dress is my personal favorite.
6. Eberjey PJ Sets. Maternity and nursing PJ’s are always a good choice for Mother’s Day–safe, but good. Kick it up a few notches with one of the luxurious PJ sets from Eberjey. I am completely addicted to these sets, which are cut form a curiously silky viscose/spandex blend. They are oversized and therefore, ideal for pregnancy. And while they are quite pricey for PJ’s, Eberjey is offering 10% off for Mother’s Day with promo code “MOMDAY2014.”
7. Paulina’s Silk Maternity Blouse. Fashion is all about prints these days and while prints are not off limits, a pregnant woman needs to be circumspect about choosing a loud print. Paulina Maternity has done a lovely, tasteful silk maternity blouse for Spring 2014, emblazoning the blouse with delicate Japanese blossoms. And the blouse is not a full button-down, demonstrating that Paulina Maternity knows what it’s doing. I, for one, would be thrilled to open this blouse up on Mother’s Day.
8. Slacks & Co’s Jeddah Maxi Dress. There is no shortage of maternity maxi dresses to choose from, but there is a shortage of maternity maxi dresses with sleeves. And at a certain point in late pregnancy, sleeves become very much appreciated. Slacks & Co is out with a new maxi dress this spring that is adorned with a sensible pair of cap sleeves. The dress comes in four equally sensible colors (Sensible is not how I feel about Slacks & Co’s new maternity romper, but I will save that for another posting).
Happy Mother’s Day shopping to all…