PF is responding today to a series of rather urgent requests asking where a pregnant woman might find more leather this fall. Leather pants and leggings are mainstream fashion now and I am thrilled to see so many pregnant women looking to rock leather during their pregnancies–well faux leather, as designers rarely do maternity clothing in authentic leather. Here’s a quick list of what’s out there for Fall/Winter 2012 if you feel your maternity wardrobe needs something edgy. In my experience, leather usually does the trick.
1. Citizens of Humanity Leatherette Avedon Ultra Skinny Maternity Jean The super-skinny Avedon is one of Citizens of Humanity’s must popular skinny jean and the denim line released a “leatherette” maternity version this fall, which promptly sold out at Saks, despite being priced at USD $229. Izzy Maternity still has the jean left in a good selection of sizes. Here is a photo of supermodel Karolina Kurkova in the Leatherette Avedons–she is obviously wearing the non-maternity version, likely in a size 24, but still, you get the idea.
2. James Jeans Maternity Twiggy Legging Jeans James Jeans has also released one of its most popular styles, the Twiggy, in faux leather. This is also an ultra-skinny cut, still available in a wide range of sizes at shopbop.com.
I have yet to see a maternity dress like this one and kudos to More Of Me for adding a dress with leather detailing to its Fall/Winter Collection. A leather dress seems to be a must-have for most women this fall, why not the same for a pregnant woman? The bodice above the empire waist is crafted from faux leather, with a fitted silhouette through the body of the dress. I know, how can you possibly say no to this dress, even at USD $198?
4. More Of Me’s Faux Leather Shorts Leather shorts make me think of Kim Kardashian. But if you can get over that unfortunate association, these faux leather maternity shorts are kind of adorable. Paired with a tasteful, demure blouse, as More of Me has done in this catalogue photo, you are sure to be the most fashion-forward person at the neighborhood cocktail party, not to mention the most fashion-forward pregnant person your neighbors have ever seen.
5. Dallas Faux Leather Tregging. I wrote about these last week and they are still fabulous–a perfect compromise between leather and comfort, as the back of these pants are done in more forgiving jersey. A wise investment, sure to last through the end of your pregnancy (I am not so sure I can say the same thing about those sleek Avedon leatherettes above).
6. Seraphine Maternity Faux Leather Panel Leggings. Seraphine’s leather leggings have leather panels down the front and stretch viscose through the rest of the body. Call these the pregnant woman’s bargain leather purchase, as they are priced at only USD $90.
7. Paulina Maternity “Backbeat” Leather Skirt. I consider this skirt the gold standard in leather maternitywear, as this is the real thing, 100% lamb leather mini skirt with a cotton under-the-bump waistband attached. It is priced at USD $321, and it feels like a $321 skirt cut from supple, high-end leather. I wrote about this skirt after I purchased it last fall and I have truly gotten a return on my investment. I wore it just last week, eight months postpartum, and when you are out in a leather mini skirt, no one suspects you are still wearing your maternity clothing.
I also want to apologize for my sporadic blogging in recent weeks, but I live among some hardcore baseball fans and watching the San Francisco Giants come from behind in two postseason series has been a full-time job these past few weeks. They are finally in the World Series, which begins tonight, and we are all very excited, especially baby Posey. Today is a very good day to be named Posey. Go Giants!